Aji Amarillo Sauce
Chillies.... so many possibilities, so many combinations.
This versatile, spicy yellow sauce is the perfect accompaniment to roasted chicken, vegetables and chips. Still rare in the UK, the Aji Amarillo chilli pepper is a staple in Peruvian cooking.
There really is so much to love about this chili pepper. It has a unique flavor, a rich history, and a very eatable heat. Introducing the aji amarillo to your kitchen – especially in its native Peruvian cuisine – can open your eyes to whole new worlds of taste.
Serves 4. Ready in 10-15 minutes.
- 2 tbsp. (40g) aji Amarillo puree (or one aji amarillo pepper, chopped and sauteed in oil)
- 110g mayonnaise
- 55g sour cream
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 2 spring onions, white and green parts, chopped
- Juice of 1-2 limes (to taste) or 2-4 tbsp. lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Roughly chop the white parts of the spring onions.
- Add the chopped onions with all the rest of the ingredients (except the salt and pepper) to a bowl (if using hand blender) or food processor.
- Process until mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Season sauce with salt and pepper to taste, and chill until ready to serve.
Note: This sauce will taste even better after 24 hours in the refrigerator. Store in the refrigerator for up to one week.